Sunday, April 01, 2012

Story telling Sunday - April fool & the spider

Story telling Sunday is brought to you by our lovely blog friend Sian please pop over to her place and see some of the other stories that we have to share

my story starts as all good stories should with ......
Once upon a time when I was about 10 or 11 and it was April 1st I screamed down to my daddy from my bedroom ' help daddy there is an enormous spider in my room come and take it away please' (I really was frightened of spiders, but of course this was an April fool joke) I didn't realise that my daddy didn't like them either, but Mum had overheard me plotting this joke with my brother, so she told him to come and of course he did APRIL FOOL I shouted and was well pleased.
Many many years later when my son was an adult I found out that my fear of spiders had been passed to him. He wouldn't go into a shed because it was sure to have them. But he did go to see Arachnophobia, something I definitely wasn't going to do.
I realised then that it was so very silly to be afraid of such a tiny creature and I cured myself by studying them. They are fascinating to watch, with beautiful markings. Now I will handle them if necessary and quite happily capture the large ones and put them outside.
Because I knew that I was no longer afraid of them I was determined to prove it for all times and handle a tarantula

Turn away now all those of you who are still afraid of the big bad spider.........
or scroll down very quickly to leave me a comment :D





Who's afraid of the big bad spider

21 comments:

helena said...

well done and what a great april fool joke on your Dad

Ruth said...

Brave girl!

Ladkyis said...

You are incredibly brave! I am allergic to garden spider bite. Everyone pooh poohs this but I have to take antihistamine if I get touched by one because I swell up. I have good reason to be wary of spiders. I am not even going to risk testing a tarantula!!!

Scattychick said...

I have always loved spiders I am a weird one lol :) Great layout of you Tarantula experience Mary x

Miriam said...

Well done for conquering your fear. I tried really hard to be very brave about such things when my lad was little. The one I failed on was moths! Irrational I know but I am still terrified of them. I skipped by your photo very quickly to get to here, there are spiders and there are very very scary ones!!!

Sian said...

What a stunning layout Mary - it's so eye catching and I have pinned it immediately :) I love the April Fools story too - what a nice Dad!

Mitralee said...

Please don't read my post as it's full of creepy crawlies! I enjoyed your story and the page about it! Awesome!

Unknown said...

Congratulations on overcoming your fear. I keep telling my children that fear is often the absence of knowledge. Learn about something and it is usually not as scary as you think. You have done just that! (Although I am still a little freaked out by cockroaches and I know lots about them!)

Beautiful page. Thanks for sharing.

Cheri said...

You are one brave lady to take on a tarantula! I always tell my girls that the spider is way more afraid of them!

JO SOWERBY said...

i lived with my landlady who was also afraid of spiders. it was my role to sort them out. now i have to use the spider ploy to prevent my lil charges from going into the garage,
jo xxx

Jimjams said...

Very brave Mary - well done!

JulieJ said...

Well done you. I have never been scared of spiders, but I'm not sure i could handle a tarantula.

Missus Wookie said...

Very brave - congratulations on recovering from your fear. How nice of your Dad to play along with your April Fools too.

Maria Ontiveros said...

Great page (and story)! My daughter Clara is really afraid of spiders, but she does swell up when bitten (so I guess it's a rational fear for her). I have tried to embrace their spiritual stories to decrease my fear.
Rinda

Ginger said...

oh my goodness! I could never do that! Yikes! i love the fact you have a photo of this!

Becky said...

I had to scroll down quickly! A great story and April fool trick, but I could never ever handle a tarantula - I applaud your bravery :)

Anonymous said...

lovely LO! and good on you for overcoming your fear!

Jane said...

I had to get over my fear of spiders as my husband was even worse!

Lizzie said...

that is a Wonderful photo, Mary! I don't mind spiders, though the huge black house spiders, with long gangly legs, do make me shiver a bit... But I agree that it is silly really (after all, in Britain, we have no venomous spiders that can bite us). I am not sure if I would handle a tarantual though - you have my admiration!

furrypig said...

wow that is impressive! The kids held a tarantula but I had to move away.

Gem's Crafts said...

Well done for overcoming your fear! I've never minded spiders & was always the spider catcher in our house. My younger 27 year old brother still calls me to catch them!

A place for me to put the pictures of layouts I have done that I am pleased with, to put in the poems I write and to add snippets of things that have caught my eye