Thursday, August 16, 2007

A GRAND DAY OUT

I had a great day out yesterday. Friends from Derbyshire were down this way visiting the sister of one of them, so they got in touch and we met up in Winchester, which was only 1½ hrs train journey away for here.

I hadn't seen them since our holiday in April so we had a lot to catch up on. They met me from the station and we headed in to town, first stop coffee in God Begot House (wish I had thought to take a photo).

We then headed for the cathedral, there was a railing around the area with a gate in it half open, so we went through, walking across the grass, no sign to say we mustn't. When we got to the other side we could not find a gate open to exit but we noticed that most people were walking around this area. Someone came up to us and said had we entered by the gate at the other end, "yes" we replied "was it open?" "yes" " you will have to go back that way and will you please close if after you we are keeping it shut because a tree may fall on someone".

Cautiously we made our way back looking at the trees to see that we were not in any danger.

Eventually we arrived at the entrance to the cathedral and went in. There was to be a guided tour at 1.00 pm so we had a quick look around and waited for the tour. The guide was very interesting obviously really enjoyed the building herself and pointed out things we would not have seen on our own.



Here are some of the photos I took in there.




















The font is made of Black Tournia Marble and depict St. Nicholas (Santa Claus) giving money to a poor father to save his daughters from a life of druggery.

These two stained glass window show King George V and King George VI with Queen Elizabeth the Queen Mother

2 comments:

Sandie said...

Stunning photos Mary!

Unknown said...

I love to read your blog Mary and these photos are fantastci, there is something special about churches & cathedrals, I can't resist visiting them when on my travels!

A place for me to put the pictures of layouts I have done that I am pleased with, to put in the poems I write and to add snippets of things that have caught my eye