Tuesday, November 10, 2009

People Watching

Do you love people watching? I do and get so much enjoyment from it. It amazes me the different thing people do. For instance I saw someone using a mirror in a shop window to tidy up her hair, out came the comb and a quick flick made her feel so much happier with her appearance.
I wonder how often I have done something of a similar nature that has amused or brightened someone's day. I do hope I have.

I don't often have the courage to take a photo of the quirky things people do, it might offend, but when it is a back view, therefore probably unidentifiable maybe just a quick click of the camera lens will be OK. That was the case with this photo.
I was following this person down the road when I noticed her very unusual hair adornment, so putting my camera on zoom, click, captured on disc for future reference.
I haven't as yet done a layout using it but maybe today is the day to do so.

It is certainly the day to write about it in prose, because I have an assignment for a poetry workshop to complete. I have to select an image of something that really interests me and write, in prose, about it. To imagine what happened immediately before or after the photo was taken.

Thank goodness for computers I am hopeless when it comes to paper and pencil work as I never am satisfied with the first draft I would be accused of causing the collapse of the rain forest with the amount of paper I would get through. After much writing and re-writing and re-re-writing here is my, I think, final draft.

A pen in her hair


Why did she wear
a pen in her hair?
To keep it tidy,
Or because it was handy?
I wonder what it means,
do I dare to ask her?
Would it offend her
If I made a comment?

“ I keep it right there
In the thick of my hair
There’s no need to search
And its easy to reach,
On top of my band
It’s always to hand,
And that is the reason
For the pen in my hair”

Oh yes for me people watching is such a great hobby and I know it is one that so many people share

5 comments:

ComfyMom~Stacey said...

Great poem! I wonder if she stuck there earlier and forgot about it?

Unknown said...

I love people watching... great photo on the sly. I wish I could catch some of my "people watching" moments on camera! The best thing was your prose, though... great! Reading this post made me smile today.

SarahLP said...

Love the sneaky pic, Mary - and what a lovely poem, made me smile too!

Thanks for your kind comment on my blog :o)

Mary said...

Another great post Mary and I love to 'people watch' too it's so amusing. Great snap of the girl with then pen in her hair. Well done you!!

Amy said...

I really love this Mary!

A place for me to put the pictures of layouts I have done that I am pleased with, to put in the poems I write and to add snippets of things that have caught my eye